LIGHTING CIG SUSPECTED IN HASH
A Must Read Before Anyone Should Attempt To Cook Up A Batch Of Hash Oil, This
Should Be Used As An Example On How Dangerous It Can Be. If It's Not Done
Properly & Carefully.
2 Separate Incidents In The Last 2 Months, So
Lets Be Extremely
Careful Out There Patients, You Don't Need Anymore Medical
Problems Then Your All Ready Have. & Trust Me There is
More Painful Then "Burn Injuries" Use
Extreme Safety Measures!
Pubdate: Sat, 19 Aug 2006
Source: Calgary Sun, The (CN AB)
One of five people hurt during a botched
bid to cook drugs may have sparked an explosion by trying to light a smoke, say
fire and police sources.
Three of those people were still in hospital in critical condition yesterday
with second- and third-degree burns.
Two others were treated and released.
Det. Sid Procee with the joint forces arson unit said the individuals, two
youth and three adults, are lucky to be alive.
"This could have been fatal for all of them," he said.
"It is very fortunate the individuals were not killed."
Manufacturing pot oil is both reckless and dangerous, and puts many people in
the area of a pot-cook in potential danger, Procee said.
In this case, drug-related and arson charges are pending, he said.
Thursday night's flash-fire in the garage of 187 Templewood Rd. N.E.
caused about $3,000 in damage.
Insp. Shaun Gissing said there are about five incidents a year where
people are hurt or buildings damaged when explosions and fires result while
people -- many using recipes found on the Internet -- try to make marijuana oil
by using flammable solvents to turn marijuana leaves into a liquid cannabis
And that number, he said, are only the cases reported to cops.
"I personally once spoke to a guy who had both corneas burned out of his
eyes," Gissing said.
The blast happened when a buildup of flammable fumes ignited and was so violent
it blew out the overhead door, ejecting one of the victims out of the garage,
Investigators have not ruled out suspicions one of the males sparked the
explosion when he attempted to light a cigarette.
OREGON: Men Hurt In Alleged Drug-Related Fire
Two men allegedly using butane to extract hash oil from
marijuana suffered severe burns Monday when the gas
exploded and set their living room on fire.
Pubdate: Tue, 12 Sep 2006
Register-Guard, The (OR)
[Name redacted], 27, and [Name redacted], 26, were flown to the Oregon Burn
Center at Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center in Portland. Both
men were in serious condition Monday night.
Neighbors heard an explosion and saw flames shoot about 10 feet into the air
behind the house [Name redacted], owns at [address redacted], in the Churchill
neighborhood south of West 18th Avenue in Eugene. [Name redacted]
reportedly lives at the house as well.
Firefighters who entered the house to fight the blaze found a pile of marijuana
on the floor of the basement living room and canisters of liquid butane.
The two men suffered severe burns to their arms and legs, witnesses said.
They stumbled from the house and lay on the front lawn while someone sprayed
them with water from a garden hose until paramedics arrived, neighbors said.
Fernando Garcia and another man were installing an appliance on the upper floor
of the house when they heard the explosion at about 12:15 p.m.
"We looked inside through the sliding door and saw a lot of smoke,"
Garcia said. "We heard guys screaming downstairs. I called
A 24-year-old woman, [Name redacted], and her 5-year-old daughter were visiting
the house at the time. They escaped unharmed, Eugene police spokeswoman
Kerry Delf said.
Police believe the men were using liquid butane as a solvent to extract the
psychoactive substance in marijuana to make hash oil, a highly concentrated form
of cannabis extract. The oil is added to marijuana or wiped on a joint to
intensify the drug's effects. It also can be smoked alone in a water pipe
or spread on cigarette papers.
Investigators believe the chemical fumes in the air ignited during the
manufacturing process and started the fire that injured the two men.
One of the residents holds a medical marijuana card, Delf said. But
Oregon's medical marijuana statute does not allow the manufacture of hash oil.
The Lane County District Attorney's Office will decide whether to file criminal
charges against the three adults, Delf said.
Of the three, [Name redacted] is the only one with a criminal history in Oregon.
She was convicted in 2002 of felony identity theft, court records showed.
According to county land records, [Name redacted] bought the three-bedroom, 1
1/2 -bathroom house in June for $259,000.
Neighbor Don Stoll said [Name redacted] had been remodeling the house and was
Stoll was mowing his lawn Monday when he heard the commotion across the street.
"I saw a big ball of flame at the back of the house," he said.
"It blew the front door open and fire was coming up the stairs."
Firefighters went door-to-door and evacuated neighbors who waited behind red and
yellow police tape until they were allowed to return to their homes.
District Chief Mark Grover of the Eugene fire department said firefighters were
able to knock the fire down quickly. The damage was largely confined to
the living room, he said.