|Own your ow legal marijuana business||
Your guide to making money in the multi-billion dollar marijuana industry
|Special Collections of Documents|
|States of Consciousness, by Charles Tart|
States of Consciousness
Charles T. Tart
1. Aaronson, B. The Hypnotic Induction of the Void. Paper presented to American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, San Francisco, 1969.
2. Annis, R., and Frost, B. Human visual ecology and orientation anisotropies in acuity. Science, 1974, 182, 729-731.
3. Assagioli, R. Psychosynthesis: A Manual of Principles and Techniques. New York: Hobbs & Dorman, 1965.
4. Barber, T. Suggested ("Hypnotic") Behavior: The Trance Paradigm Versus an Alternative Paradigm. In E. Fromm and R. Shor (eds.). Hypnosis: Research Developments and Perspectives. Chicago: Aldine/Atherton, 1972, pp. 115-183.
5. Bennett, J. Witness. Tucson, Ariz.: Omen Press, 1974.
6. Berke, J., and Hernton, C. The Cannabis Experience. London: Peter Owen, 1974.
7. Blackburn, T. Sensuous-intellectual complementarity in science. Science, 1971, 172, 1003-1007.
8. Bohr, N. Essays, 1958-1962, on Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge. New York: Wiley, 1963.
9. Castaneda, C. The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1968.
10. , A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1971.
11. , Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1973.
12. , Tales of Power. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1974.
13. Danielou, A. The influence of sound phenomena on human consciousness. Psychedelic Rev., 1966, No. 7, 20-26.
14. Deikman, A. De-automatization and the mystic experience. Psychiatry, 1966, 29, 329-343.
15. DeRopp, R. The Master Game. New York: Delacorte Press, 1968.
16. Estabrooks, G. Hypnotism. New York: Dutton, 1943.
17. Evans-Wentz, W. Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines. London: Oxford University Press, 1967.
18. Ghiselin, B. The Creative Process. New York: New American Library, 1952.
19. Gill, M., and Brenman, M. Hypnosis and Related States: Psychoanalytic Studies in Regression. New York: International Universities Press, 1959.
20. Goleman, D. The Buddha on meditation and states of consciousness. I. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1972, 4 (1) 1-44. Reprinted in C. Tart (ed.). Transpersonal Psychologies. New York: Harper & Row, 1975.
21. Goodwin, D., and Powell, B. Alcohol and recall: State-dependent effects in man. Science, 1969, 163, 1358-1360.
22. Govinda, A. Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism. New York: Dutton, 1960.
23. Green, E., Green, A., and Walters, E. Voluntary control of internal states: Psychological and physiological. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1970, 2 (1), 1-26.
24. Gurdjieff, G. Views from the Real World. New York: Dutton, 1973.
25. Haley, J. (ed.). Advanced Techniques of Hypnosis and Therapy: Selected Papers of Milton H. Erickson, M. D. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1967.
26. Hilgard, E. A neodissociation interpretation of pain reduction in hypnosis. Psychol. Rev., 1973, 80, 396-411.
27. Honorton, C. Feedback-augmented EEG alpha, shifts in subjective state, and ESP card-guessing performance. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1971, 65, 308-323.
28. , Shifts in subjective state associated with feedback-augmented EEG alpha. Psychophysiology, 1972, 9, 269-270.
29. , Shifts in subjective state and ESP under conditions of partial sensory deprivation. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1973, 67, 191-196.
30. James, W. The Varieties of Religious Experience. New York: Longmans, 1935, p. 298.
31. Keynes, G. (ed.). Blake: Complete Writings. London: Oxford University Press, 1966.
32. Kuhn, T. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1962.
33. LeCron, L. (ed.). Experimental Hypnosis. New York: Macmillan, 1956.
34. Lilly, J. Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer. Miami, Fl.: Communication Research Institute, 1967. Reprinted by Whole Earth Catalog, Menlo Park, Calif., 1971.
35. , The Center of the Cyclone. New York: Julian Press, 1972.
36. Maslow, A. Toward a Psychology of Being. Princeton: Van Nostrand, 1962.
37. Masters, R., and Houston, J. The Altered States of Consciousness Induction Device: Some Possible Uses in Research and Psychotherapy. Pomona, N.Y.: Foundation for Mind Research, 1971.
38. Moll, A. Hypnotism. New York: Scribner, 1902.
39. Naranjo, C., and Ornstein, R. On the Psychology of Meditation. New York: Viking, 1971.
40. Needleman, J. The New Religions. New York: Doubleday, 1970.
41. Newsweek, 25, January 1971, p. 52.
42. Nicoll, M. Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. London: Stuart & Watkins, 1970.
43. O'Neill, J. Prodigal Genius: The Life of Nikola Tesla. New York: Washburn, 1944.
44. Orne, M. The nature of hypnosis: Artifact and essence. J. Abnorm. Soc. Psychol., 1959, 58, 277-299.
45. , On the social psychology of the psychological experiment: With particular reference to demand characteristics and their implications. Am. Psychologist, 1962, 17, 776-783.
46. , and Scheibe, K. The contributions of nondeprivation factors in the production of sensory deprivation effects: The psychology of the "panic button." J. Abnorm. Soc. Psychol., 1964, 68, 3-12.
47. Ornstein, R. The Psychology of Consciousness. New York: Viking, 1972.
48. Ouspensky, P. In Search of the Miraculous. New York: Harcourt, 1949.
49. Pearce, J. The Crack in the Cosmic Egg. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1973.
50. , Exploring the Crack in the Cosmic Egg. New York: Julian Press, 1974.
51. Phillips, B. (ed.). The Essentials of Zen Buddhism: An Anthology of the Writings of Daisetz T. Suzuki. London: Rider, 1963, pp. 31-32.
52. Pribram, K. Languages of the Brain: Experimental Paradoxes and Principles in Neurophysiology. Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: PrenticeHall, 1971.
53. Priestley, J. Man and Time. New York: Doubleday, 1964.
54. Rolf, I. Structural integration: Gravity, an unexplored factor in a more human use of human beings. J. Inst. Comp. Stud. Hist., Philos., Sci., 1963, 1.
55. Rosenthal, R. Experimenter Effects in Behavioral Research. New York: Appleton, 1966.
56. Shah, I. Tales of the Dervishes. London: Jonathan Cape, 1967.
57. , The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin. New York: Dutton, 1968.
58. , Tales of the Dervishes. New York: Dutton, 1970.
59. Shor, R. The accuracy of estimating the relative difficulty of typical
hypnotic phenomena. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1964, 12, 191-201.
60. Snyder, S. Uses of Marijuana. New York: Oxford University Press, 1971.
61. Tart, C. A Comparison of Suggested Dreams Occurring in Hypnosis and Sleep. Unpublished MA thesis, University of North Carolina, 1962.
62. , Frequency of dream recall and some personality measures. J. Consult. Psychol., 1962, 26, 467-470.
63. , Hypnotic depth and basal skin resistance. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1963, 11, 81-92.
64. , Physiological correlates of psi cognition. Int. J. Parapsychol., 1963, 5, 375-386.
65. , A possible "psychic" dream, with some speculations on the nature of such dreams. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1963, 42, 283-298.
66. , The influence of the experimental situation in hypnosis and dream research: A case report. Am. J. Clin. Hypnosis, 1964, 7, 163-170.
67. , A comparison of suggested dreams occurring in hypnosis and sleep. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1964, 12, 263-289.
68. , The hypnotic dream: Methodological problems and a review of the literature. Psychol. Bull., 1965, 63, 87-99.
69. , Application of instrumentation to the investigation of "haunting" and "poltergeist" cases. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1965, 59, 190-201.
70. , Toward the experimental control of dreaming: A review of the literature. Psychol. Bull., 1965, 64, 81-92. Reprinted in W. Webb (ed.). Sleep: An Experimental Approach. New York: Macmillan, 1968, pp. 131-144. Also reprinted in C. Tart (ed.). Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings. New York: Wiley, 1969, pp. 133-144.
71. , An inexpensive masking noise generator: Monaural or stereo. Psychophysiology, 1965, 2, 170-172.
72. , Models for the explanation of extrasensory perception. Int. J. Neuropsychiat., 1966, 2, 488-504.
73. , Card guessing tests: Learning paradigm or extinction paradigm. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1966, 60, 46-55.
74. , Some effects of posthypnotic suggestion on the process of dreaming. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1966, 14, 30-46.
75. , ESPATESTER: An automatic testing device for parapsychological research. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1966, 60, 256 269.
76. , Types of hypnotic dreams and their relation to hypnotic depth. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1966, 71, 377-382.
77. , Review of S. Smith, The Enigma of Out-of-the-Body Travel. Theta, 1966, 13, 2-3.
78. , Spontaneous Thought and Imagery in the Hypnotic State: Psychophysiological Correlates. Paper presented to American Psychological Association, New York, 1966.
79. , Patterns of basal skin resistance during sleep. Psychophysiology, 1967, 4, 35-39.
80. , The control of nocturnal dreaming by means of posthypnotic suggestion. Int. J. Parapsychol., 1967, 9, 184-189.
81. , A second psychophysiological study of out-of-the-body experiences in a gifted subject. Int. J. Parapsychol., 1967, 9, 251-258.
82. , Psychedelic experiences associated with a novel hypnotic procedure, mutual hypnosis. Am. J. Clin. Hypnosis, 1967, 10, 65-78. Reprinted in C. Tart (ed.). Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings. New York: Wiley, 1969, pp. 291-308.
83. , Random output selector for the laboratory. Psychophysiology, 1967, 3, 430-434.
84. , A psychophysiological study of out-of-the-body experiences in a selected subject. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1968, 62, 3-27.
85. , Ethics and psychedelic drugs. Am. Psychologist, 1968, 23, 455-456.
86. , Hypnosis, Psychedelics, and Psi: Conceptual Models. In R. Cavanna and M. Ullman (eds.). Psi and Altered States of Consciousness. New York: Garrett Press, 1968, pp. 24-41.
87. , Two token object studies with the "psychic," Peter Hurkos. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1968, 62, 143-157.
88. , Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings. New York: Wiley, 1969.
89. , Review of C. Green, Out-of-the-Body Experiences. Theta, 1969, 25, 3-4.
90. , The "High" Dream: A New State of Consciousness. In C. Tart (ed.). Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings. New York: Wiley, 1969, pp. 169-174. Reprinted in J. Am. Soc. Psychosom. Dent. Med., 1969, 16, 15-22.
91. , Approaches to the study of hypnotic dreams. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1969, 28, 864.
92. , The posthypnotic dream: Nature of the effect and individual differences. Psychophysiology, 1969, 6, 268.
93. , Influencing Dream Content: Discussion of Witkin's Paper. In M. Kramer (ed.). Dream Psychology and the New Biology of Sleep. Springfield, III.: Thomas, 1969, pp. 344-360.
94. , Three studies of EEG alpha feedback. Biofeedback Soc. Proc., 1969, Part 3, 14-19.
95. , A further psychophysiological study of out of-the-body experiences in a gifted subject. Proc. Parapsychol. Assoc., 1969, 6, 43-44.
96. , Self-report scales of hypnotic depth. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1970, 18, 105-125.
97. , Did I Really Fly? Some Methodological Notes on the Investigation of Altered States of Consciousness and Psi Phenomena. In R. Cavanna (ed.). Psi Favorable States of Consciousness: Proceedings of an International Conference on Methodology in Psi Research. New York: Parapsychology Foundation, 1970, pp. 3-10.
98. , Increases in hypnotizability resulting from a prolonged program for enhancing personal growth. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1970, 75, 260-266.
99. , Marijuana intoxication: Reported effects on sleep. Psychophysiology, 1970, 7, 348.
100. , Review of Celia Green, Lucid Dreams and Out-of-the-Body Experiences. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1970, 64, 219-227.
101. , Transpersonal potentialities of deep hypnosis. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1970, 2, 27-40. Reprinted in J. White (ed.). The Highest State of Consciousness. New York: Doubleday Anchor, 1972, pp. 344-351.
102. , Waking from sleep at a preselected time. J. Am. Soc. Psychosom. Dent. Med., 1970, 17, 3-16.
103. , Marijuana intoxication: Common experiences. Nature, 1970, 226, 701-704. Reprinted in The Pot Report. New York: Award Books, 1972. Also reprinted in E. Goode (ed.). Marijuana, 2nd ed. Chicago: Aldine/Atherton, 1972. Also reprinted in R. Evans and R. Rozelle (eds.). Social Psychology in Life, 2nd ed. 1973. Also reprinted in B. Ekstrand and L. Bourne (eds.). Principles and Meanings in Psychology. New York: Dryden Press, 1974, pp. 351-354.
104. , A Theoretical Model for States of Consciousness. Paper presented at Menninger Foundation Conference on Voluntary Control of Internal States, Council Grove, Kansas, 1970.
105. , On Being Stoned: A Psychological Study of Marijuana Intoxication. Palo Alto, Calif.: Science & Behavior Books, 1971.
106. , Introduction to R. Monroe, Journeys Out of the Body. New York: Doubleday, 1971, pp. 1-17.
107. , Work with marijuana. II. Sensations. Psychol. Today, 1971. 4, (12), 41-45, 66-68.
108. , Review of R. Ornstein and C. Naranjo, The Psychology of Meditation. In The Last Whole Earth Catalog, New York, Random House, 1971, 423.
109. , Review of R. Monroe, Journeys Out of the Body. The Last Whole Earth Catalog, New York, Random House, 1971, 415.
110. , Review of D. Cohen, Current research on the frequency of dream recall. Psychol. Bull., 1970, 73, 433-440. UCLA Brain Information Service Sleep Bulletin, 1971, No. 82, 8.
111. , ESP and pot. Psychic, 1971, 3, (2), 26-30.
112. , Scientific foundations for the study of altered states of consciousness. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1972, 3 (2), 93-124.
113. , A psychologist's experience with transcendental meditation. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1972, 3 (2), 135-140.
114. , Measuring the Depth of an Altered State of Consciousness, with Particular Reference to Self-Report Scales of Hypnotic Depth. In E. Fromm and R. Shor (eds.), Hypnosis: Research Developments and Perspectives. Chicago: Aldinel Atherton, 1972, pp. 445-477
115. , Altered States of Consciousness. 2nd. ed., revised. New York: Doubleday Anchor, 1972.
116. , Sleep EEG study of out-of-the-body experiences. Psychophysiology, 1972.
117. , Concerning the scientific study of the human aura. J. Am. Soc. Psych. Res., 1972, 46, 1-21.
118. , La ciena y el alma humana. (Science and the human soul.) Tribuna Medica, 1972, 9 (425), 12.
119. , States of consciousness and state-specific sciences. Science, 1972, 176, 1203-1210. Reprinted in R. Ornstein (ed.). The Nature of Human Consciousness. San Francisco: Freeman, 1973, pp. 41-60. Also reprinted in B. Ekstrand and L. Bourne (eds.). Principles and Meanings of Psychology. New York: Dryden Press, 1974, pp. 320-329. Also reprinted in J. Wheatley and H. Edge (eds.). Philosophical Dimension of Parapsychology, Springfield, III.: Thomas, 1974.
120. , The Changing Scientific Attitude in Psychology. In C. Muses and A. Young (eds.). Consciousness and Reality: The Human Pivot Point. New York: Outerbridge & Lazard, 1972, pp. 73-88.
121. , States of Consciousness. In L. Bourne and B. Ekstrand (eds.). Human Action: An Introduction to Psychology. New York: Dryden Press, 1973, pp. 247-279.
122. , State-specific Sciences. Science, 1973, 180, 1006-1008.
123. , Let's pretend to be rational: Review of Bloomquist's Marijuana: The Second Trip. Contemp. Psychol. 1973,18, 171-172.
124. , Parapsychology. Science, 1973,182, 222.
125. , Preliminary Notes on the Nature of Psi Processes. In R. Ornstein (ed.). The Nature of Human Consciousness. San Francisco: Freeman, 1973, pp. 468-492.
126. , On the Nature of Altered States of Consciousness, with Special Reference to Parapsychological Phenomena. In W. Roll, R. Morris, and J. Morris (eds.). Research in Parapsychology, 1973. Metuchen, N. J. Scarecrow Press, 1974, pp. 163-218.
127. , Some Methodological Problems in Research on Out-of-the-Body Experiences. In W. Roll, R. Morris, and J Morris (eds.). Research in Parapsychology, 1973. Metuchen, N. J. Scarecrow Press, 1974, pp. 116-120.
128. , (ed.). Transpersonal Psychologies. New York: Harper & Row, 1975.
129. , Out-of-the-Body Experiences. In E. Mitchell and J White (eds.). Psychic Exploration. New York: Putnam, 1974, pp. 349-374.
130. , Out-of-the-Body Experiences. In T. X. Barber et al (eds.). Alterations in Awareness and Human Potentialities, 1973 Annual. New York: Psychological Dimensions, 1974.
131. , Studies of Extrasensory Perception. New York: Dutton, in press.
132. , Studies of States of Consciousness, New York: Dutton, in press.
133. , Boisen, M., Lopez, V., and Maddock, R. Some studies of psychokinesis with a spinning silver coin. J. Soc. Psych. Res., 1972, 46, 143-153.
134. , Cooper, L., Banford, S., and Schubot, S. A further attempt to modify hypnotic susceptibility through repeated individualized experience. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1967, 15, 118-124.
135. , and Creighton, J. The Bridge Mountain Community: An evolving pattern for human growth. J. Humanistic Psychol., 1966, 6, 54-67.
136. , and Dick, L. Conscious control of dreaming. I. The post-hypnotic dream. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1970, 76, 304-315.
137. , and Fadiman, J. The case of the yellow wheat field: A dream-state explanation of a broadcast telepathic dream. Psychoanal. Rev., 1974-75, 6I, 607-618.
138. , and Hilgard, E. Responsiveness to suggestions under "hypnosis" and "waking-imagination" conditions: A methodological observation. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Hypnosis, 1966, 14, 247-256.
139. , and Kvetensky, E. Marijuana intoxication: Feasibility of experiential scaling of depth. J. Altered States of Consciousness, 1973, 1, 15-21.
140. Taylor, W. "Cloze procedure": A new tool for measuring readability. Journalism Quart., 1953, 30, 415-433.
141. Timmons, B., and Kamiya, J. The psychology and physiology of meditation and related phenomena: A bibliography. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1970, 2, 41-59.
142. Timmons, B., and Kanellakos, D. The psychology and physiology of meditation and related phenomena: Bibliography 11. J. Transpersonal Psychol., 1974, 6, 32-38.
143. Vogel, G., Foulkes D., and Trosman, H. Ego functions and dreaming during sleep onset. Arch. Gen. Psychiat., 1966, 14, 238-248. Reprinted in C. Tart (ed.). Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings. New York: Wiley, 1969, pp. 75-92.
144. Weitzenhoffer, A., and Hilgard, E. Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, Forms A and B. Palo Alto, Calif.: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1959.
145. Weitzenhoffer, A., and Hilgard, E. Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, Form. C. Palo Alto, Calif.; Consulting Psychologists Press, 1962.
146. Weitzenhoffer, A., and Hilgard, E. Stanford Profile Scales of Hypnotic Susceptibility, Forms I and II. Palo Alto, Calif.: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1963.
147. Wordsworth, W. Ode on Intimations of Immortality. In H. Darbishire (ed.), Poems in Two Volumes of 1807. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1952, pp. 321-332.